Sunday, January 12, 2014

Tobago Day 6

I forgot to say, a few nights ago I saw my first firefly! Mike, our professor, said they aren't as common as they used to be. It's not what I thought it would look like, it flashed on and off instead of lighting up continuously. I saw some more of them this evening as well.

We had a nice hike through the rainforest although 4:45am is WAY to early to be up. It was nice and cool right up until we left and the sun started heating things up. Saw some rare birds and hummingbirds and a freshwater fish, crab, and a trap door spider hole. We also saw a White tailed saber wing humming bird which is one of six rare species in the world if I remember our guide correctly.

Everyone decided to skip the waterfall because no lunch places were open and it would also be another trek through the mud WITHOUT boots this time. No thank you! We decided to try going to one on Trinidad.

I think some people might go to Pirate's Bay when they get back; I think I will relax on the beach outside the cabin. The waves are too rough at the bay to comfortably swim in.

It's a good thing we aren't staying at the cabin longer as things keep breaking. The shower never really worked, the fridge broke, one of the curtain rods keeps falling down, and then last night the faucet handle came off and only one works now. Few days more and it might fall down on top of us!

Once we got back everyone made lunch and then slept for the afternoon. I read my book and laid in the sun for a while. Being a white female on the beach, though, does not lend itself to a relaxing time. Every male Trini walking past thinks he must personally woo you. Never mind that he's in his 50s! It just takes being very very firm. I finally moved inside to finish my book. When I was done I walked in to town to the library and dropped them off. There was only about an hour until dinner so Brendan and I talked and packed while the girls went into town to buy liqueur. They are going to the bar later this evening.

Dinner was some kind of noodle salad, pork, and rice. Two lizards kept us company during dinner; getting pretty bold about coming close to eat moths. After dinner Brendan and I did dishes and I got a passion fruit to try tonight. The girls went to go drink and I'll probably go to bed early tonight. Going home tomorrow! Can't wait to be able to talk to everyone! And we still have a week until school starts at UWI.

No comments:

Post a Comment