Sunday, January 12, 2014

Tobago Day 5

Yesterday right before bed I had a nice talk with Pipe (pronounced P-pay) about what it's like being engaged, etc. I got to coo over Daniel a little, but it just made me miss him more!

Today we got ourselves together to get on the bus talking us to Buccoo reef. Everyone is really tired; we all plan to sleep the drive to the other end of the island. We are headed to Storebay today; we will be back Sunday to go to the airport. It is about an hour and a half drive to get from one end of the island to the other. From Storebay we can go out on the reef and do some shopping as well as lay on the beach or hang out.

Tobago (and maybe Trinidad) is one of the only places where a bus will stop and talk to people in cars. I just watched both drivers fist bump out the window. Everyone knows everyone and if you don't talk to them it is very rude.

After getting to Store Bay we paid 60TT ($9.30US) to go on a tour. After looking around the souvenir stands some (I found a little ring to wear instead of my engagement one left at home) we got shuttled over to Pigeon Point to get on the boat. It was a glass bottom boat which meant the middle of the boat were three plexiglass squares surrounded by benches. We rode out for about 20 minutes and then stopped over the coral. It was pretty shallow and easy to see the coral and fish. I thought I remembered it being more colorful, but maybe that was just in Hawaii or Florida. After learning the names of the fish and coral they threw out a life ring and let us get in and hold into the rope as we snorkeled. If you were a good swimmer you didn't have to, but it was kind of rough so everyone did.

After snorkeling we went to the Nylon Pool. Because of how the waves and current came together it dumps sand there and makes it really shallow even though you are in the middle of the ocean. In most places it's waist deep although we walked to where it was maybe a foot deep. After spending time playing there we stopped one last time at a little island/point with a lagoon inside and went swimming.

After getting back we got lunch; I got a buss up shut (roti with the filling on the side and the roti bread is torn into pieces; makes eating easier). There was free wifi so for the last hour I ate and talked to Daniel and my mom. We all got ice cream before we got on the bus for the drive back. Homemade coconut ice cream never tasted so good!

Everyone slept the drive home and then slept another hour till dinner. Dinner was fried flying fish (pretty good!) rice, lentils, and some veggies. I came back and packed for tomorrow since we are leaving at 6am. Some of the girls are heading into town; I'm not sure if they're planning on drinking and dancing some more or just hanging out. I plan on going to bed early!

Tomorrow we have an hour and a half drive to the rainforest where we will take a two hour tour. After that we will stop for lunch and then head to another tour. A guide will take us to a waterfall where we can swim and hang out for a while. After that the day is free to do what we want.

Sunday we leave for the airport at 9am; we fly out at 12ish and then it's a short drive to the Lodge! I finally have all my decorations up in my room and there's not much wall space left! I love being surrounded by the pictures of friends and animals. I will also be back to my little pack of stuffed animals; I forgot my bear this week!

1 comment:

  1. I doubt there are many people in the U.S. who can say they have eaten flying fish!

    ReplyDelete